Maria Contreras Coll (1991) is a documentary photographer and a photojournalist from Barcelona.
Maria became interested in photography at the age of 14 with her first digital camera. She decided to study a Bachelor Degree in Fine Arts in Photography at the University of Barcelona (2010-2014). During those years, she investigated the concept of happiness, unrealized dreams and the hopes of people immersed in the rush of urban life. Her documentary projects such as “Ah!” and “Persona” were exhibited at the Català Roca Golferichs center in 2013, and at the University of Barcelona in 2014.
After finishing her degree, she postgraduate in Photojournalism (2015-2016) at the Autonomous University of Barcelona as a valedictorian. She spent the next year photographing the most intimate and personal aspects of the Refugee Crisis in Europe, traveling to affected areas such as Greece, France, Germany or Morocco. After that, she moved to Nepal in 2017 to work on a women's rights project.
Since then, her stories have been published in Aljazeera, Le Figaro, Le Figaro Magazine, El Pais, El Mundo, Internazionale, and Vice. She has been a guest speaker at the Autonomous University of Barcelona and her work has been shown in places such as Casa De Vacas Madrid, Getty Images Gallery in London or in the DocField Festival in Barcelona. Recently she's been selected for the Women Photograph Mentorship 2017-2018 and won the Spanish Grant Click 2017 to continue with her work in Nepal.
Maria is an enthusiastic and creative person. She has the need to tell people’s stories in a rigorous and well-investigated manner, capturing global problems as the Refugee European Crisis from a very intimate and personal perspective. She is able to adapt to very different situations, always with the aim of photographing them in a very sensitive and truthful way. Maria is especially interested in Migration movements, in Gender issues, and in how the social structures can affect women’s lives in different cultures, religions, and countries.
- 2015 - 2016, Valedictorian - Postgraduate Degree in Photojournalism at the Autonomous University of Barcelona
- 2010 – 2014, Major in Image Studies, Bachelor of Fine Arts at the University of Barcelona
- 2017 - Participant in the exhibit "IX Jornades Masnou" with Samuel Aranda,
- 2017 - Solo exhibition of the photographic project "We Keep Waiting" in
- 2017 - Participant in the exhibit "Renaissance Photography" in Getty Images, London
- 2017 - Participant in the exhibit “Looking For Refuge”, with Olmo Calvo, Sergi Camara, and Santi Donaire among others, organized by
- 2014 - Solo exhibition of the photographic project “Persona” at the Freedonia Gallery in Barcelona
- 2014 - Participant in the exhibit “
- 2013 - Solo exhibition of the photographic project “Ah!” at Espai Català Roca in Barcelona
-2017 - Women Photograph
-2017- XVIII Seminar of Photography and Journalism Grant for study Photojournalism in Efti School 2018, Spain
-2017- XVIII Seminar of Photography and Journalism Grant, Spain
-2017- ND Awards honorable mention in Editorial: Documentary Photography category
-2017- Nominee for the
-2017 - Winner of click Grant, Spain
-2017- Shortlisted for the Lucie
-2017- Finalist in Renaissance Photography Grant, UK
Aljazeera, Internazionale, Le Figaro, Le
- 2017 - Invited at Radio Nacional de España (National Radio of Spain) Radio 4, to talk about her exhibition We Keep Waiting, with Ricard Garcia Vilanova and
-2017 - Guest speaker at "IX Jornades Masnou, photography in 360º" with Samuel Aranda, Eugeny Gay, Manu Mart, Silvia Omedes, Anna Surinyach and Eva
-2017 - Guest speaker at a class dedicated to Emergent Photojournalists at the 2017/2018 and 2016/2017 edition of the Postgraduate Degree in Photojournalism at the Autonomous University of Barcelona
-2017 - Guest speaker at a class dedicated to Menstrual Restrictions and Photojournalism at Baitadi University, Nepal
-2017 - Guest speaker at a Photographic Social Vision meeting in Estudi