Maria Contreras Coll (1991) is a documentary photographer from Barcelona.
Maria became interested in photography at the age of 14 with her first digital camera. She decided to study a Bachelor Degree of Fine Arts in Photography at the University of Barcelona (2010-2014). During those years, she investigated about the concept of happiness, unrealised dreams and the hopes of people immersed in the rush of urban life. Her documentary projects such as “Ah!”, was exhibited at the Català Roca Golferichs center in 2013, and “Persona”, was exhibited at the University of Barcelona in 2014.
After finishing her degree, she did a one-year Workshop in Documentary Photography at PatiLlimona (2015) with the photographer Eva Parey. In 2015-2016 she studied a Postgraduate degree in Photojournalism (2015-2016) at the Autonomous University of Barcelona. She spent the next year photographing the most intimate and personal aspects of the Refugee Crisis in Europe, traveling to affected areas such as Greece, France, Germany or Morocco. After that, she moved to Nepal to work on a women's rights project.
Since then, her stories has been published in Aljazeera, El Pais, El Mundo, Internazionale and Vice Media. She has been a guest speaker at the Autonomous University of Barcelona and her work has been exhibit in “Looking For Refuge” organised by the Spanish Commission for Refugee Assistance in Madrid (2017) and the “Renaissance Photography Grant” in Getty Images Gallery in London (2017). Recently she's been shortlisted in awards such as the Lucie Fundation Scholarship and won the Spanish Grant Click 2017 to continue with her work in Nepal.
Currently she is living between Barcelona and Lisbon.
- 2017 - Participant in the exhibit "IX Jornades Masnou" with Samuel Aranda, Eugeni Gay
- 2017 - Exhibit of the photographic project "We Keep Waiting" in Docfield, Barcelona
- 2017 - Participant in the exhibit "Renaissance Photography" in Getty Images, London
- 2017 - Participant in the exhibit “Looking For Refuge”, with Olmo Calvo, Sergi Camara and Santi Donaire among others, organized by CEAR (Spanish Commission for Refugee Assistance) at the Casa de Vacas in Madrid
- 2014 - Exhibit of the photographic project “Persona” at the Freedonia Gallery in Barcelona
- 2014 - Participant in the exhibit “Titols” at the University of Fine Arts in Barcelona
- 2013 - Exhibit of the photographic project “Ah!” at Espai Català Roca in Barcelona
-2017 - Winner of click Grant, Spain
-2017- Shortlisted in Lucie Fundation Scholarship, USA
-2017 - Finalist in Renaissance Photography Grant, UK
Vice Media, Internazionale, Aljazeera, Eldiario.es, France Info, El Pais, El Mundo, Sipa Press
-2017 - Guest speaker at "IX Jornades Masnou, photography in 360º" with Samuel Aranda, Eugeny Gay, Manu Mart, Silvia Omedes, Anna Surinyach and Eva Parey
-2017 - Guest speaker at a class dedicated to Emergent Photojournalists at the 2017/2018 and 2016/2017 edition of the Postgraduate Degree in Photojournalism at the Autonomous University of Barcelona
-2017 - Guest speaker at a class dedicated to Menstrual Restrictions and Photojurnalism in Baitadi University, NepaL
-2017 - Guest speaker at a Photographic Social Vision meeting in Estudi Seltona, Barcelona